It gives us great pleasure to report that at our annual general meeting on September 17, 2017, the membership voted to support Islanders’ Secure Land Association entering into a partnership with BCHousing for the purpose of building year round affordable rental homes at Beulah Creek Village.
For more background information on this partnership and our plan for moving forward click here.
Affordable Housing – A Pressing Need
Hornby Island has a world-class reputation as a travel destination, but it is a distinction that comes with challenges: a seasonal service economy with many low-paying jobs, rental housing that is expensive and often available only part of the year, many off-island owners and part-time residents, and high property values that are out of reach for local wage-earners.
We are working to provide year-round, secure, and affordable housing on Hornby.
Why is it important?
- Working families, earning island incomes, have the opportunity to put down roots and thrive.
- Children can grow up in stable, safe, healthy homes and supportive neighbourhoods.
- Our island community needs access to housing that is affordable to teachers, healthcare providers, retail and restaurant employees, office staff, small business owners, artists, people in the building trades. These residents provide essential services and contribute to a healthy economy.
- Families, and singles help our island remain balanced and whole – with young and old, working and retired, and a wide range of incomes.
- Because ISLA housing will remain permanently affordable, the public and private dollars invested are protected in perpetuity. It is a community asset that will benefit Hornby islanders for generations.
Please explore this website to learn more and get involved!